1. Plan out what the “base” will be. You have to start somewhere, so, make a list of what you want to do.
- Teaching. Teaching acting is an art, you have to know how to act before you can teach.
- Vocal warm-ups. Warming up to act is a very important step in acting. If your body’s not ready, neither are you. Plus, you could do some serious damage if you don’t warm up correctly.
- Acting. Acting is the overall thing in theater; you and many people will benefit from taking an acting class/workshop.
2. Find a few people to help you. “Two heads are better than one”, as they say, and it’s perfectly true.
- Get some friends who share your passion, or maybe an experienced director.
3. Make it work, and have support. There’s a lot to do, before you can start teaching, and it may be frustrating to figure out, that’s why support and time, will make it all the easier.
- Ask for a few donations, to help get you going.
4. Form a plan. Planning a workshop is essential to making it work.
- Choose and confirm a location that you have easy and regular access to.
- Choose a time that will work for others as well as yourself. Try not to make it more than two hours.
5. Make a name, and choose a logo.
6. Budget. Some places might be nice, and let you use the location free, but with the economy, it’ll be hard to find. If you can find a free place, say a nice thank you, and move on if needed. If you can’t, it will be reasonable to have a small fee, for the workshop. Remember, the higher the fee, the more work you will have to put in to it.
7. Advertise. Finally, you set everything up! Now, it’s time to get the word out.
- Have your friends help you make flyers, and give them out, or ask where you can put them up.
- Get a car magnet, with the logo, name, and contact information.
- Word of mouth is usually the best advertisement for something like this, so get the word out.
- Post an ad in the newspaper, and tell what you are offering to do.
8. Once you’ve set your time, set a place, and have people, you’re ready! Be smart, and teach well, people will probably volunteer to help, too.
How to Start an Acting Workshop
Acting might be your passion, or directing might be. Well, no matter what you want to do, you want to start a workshop, a class, but don’t know how. Well, read these easy, simple steps, and you’re on the road to directing!